Migraines affect approximately 1 billion people world wide which equals to around 15% of the population. It’s effects and pain is regarded as being more severe than headaches. Effects can be so severe that those sufferers have lost jobs, and even have had marital breakups because its cropping symptoms.
If you suffer from migraines, here are the signs and symptoms you may experience with:
- Pain is only on one side of the head, or usually stronger on the one side
- Nausea and vomiting usually accompanies with migraines
- Photophobia (sensitive to light), Phonophobia (sensitive to sound) and even being sensitive to smell is also a feature of migraines
- Aura symptoms which include any type of visual disturbances such as blurry vision, tunnel vision, seeing dark or white spots, colourful lines, or even becoming temporarily blind is also a feature
- Dysarthria such as speech disturbances
- Dysphagia such as difficulty with swallowing are all features of migraines
On the other hand, headache also commonly known as tension headache is the most common form of headaches. It affects approximately 1.4 billion people world wide, which equals to around 20.8% of the population.
If you suffer from tension headache here are some of the common signs and symptoms:
- Pain usually affects both sides of the head equally
- Pain is often felt as a tightening, squeezing, pressure type pain
- Nausea and vomiting is typically NOT a feature of tension headache
- Photophobia, phonophobia and sensitivity to smell is often a feature
- Symptoms can last up to 7 days straight
If you suffer from headaches or migraines, the above symptoms would be similar to what you would feel during an attack. Having the right diagnosis is crucial in terms of correctly treating these conditions.
If you haven’t had your headaches diagnosed and still live with headaches, we strongly recommend you have your headaches assessed by an expert headache clinician.
For further information visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/brisbaneheadacheandmigraineclinic
If you would like to visit our google plus page for the Sunnybank Hills Clinic visit us at https://google.com
If you would like to visit out google plus page for the Springhill Clinic at suite 4, 485 Boundary St visit us at https://google.com
You will also be able to view our clinicians profile on LinkedIn at http://au.linkedin.com
To follow us on twitter please view https://twitter.com/Bertranddoeuk
For further information our phone number is 1800HEADACHE (1800 43 23 22 43)