Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic, subsidiaries and group entities are committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information.
Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic is governed by various legislation relevant to the management of personal information and privacy. We are required by the Privacy Act 1988 to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APP) (subject to the other provisions of the Privacy Act). The APP’s control the way personal information is managed, including collection, use, disclosure, storage, access and deletion. Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic is also required to comply with the Spam Act 2003 and the Do Not Call Register Act 2006.
Collection of Personal Information
To the extent required by the Privacy Act:
- Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic will not collect personal information about you unless that information is necessary for one or more of our functions or activities.
- Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic will collect personal information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive manner.
When Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic collects personal information directly from you, we will take reasonable steps at or before the time of collection to ensure that you are aware of the purposes of collection, any other organisations (or types of organisations) to which we would usually disclose information of that kind, detail on how you access the information and how to contact us.
Use and Disclosure of Personal and Health Information by Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic
The personal information you provide to Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic is obtained for the primary purpose of providing high quality health care. If Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic uses or discloses your personal and/or health information for a purpose (secondary purpose) other than the main reason for which it was originally collected (primary purpose), to the extent required by the Privacy Act, we will ensure that:
- The secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose (and directly related in the case of sensitive information) and you would reasonably expect that Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic would use or disclose your information in that way;
- You have consented to the use and disclosure of your personal and/or health information for the secondary purpose.
Where required, personal and/or health information will be disclosed as required or authorised by or under law or as otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act.
Why does Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic collect Personal and Health Information?
Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic collects personal and/or health information for a range of purposes including:
- The provision of high-quality health care
- To administer accounts and process payments
- To communicate with you regarding any issues affecting your treatment
- Provide information on services and benefits available to Clients
- To notify Clients of promotions and events
- To use for research purposes, case conferences, in study groups and at seminars (please note in these instances, all personal information will be de-identified).
From time to time, Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic will contact its Clients and non-Clients whose personal information has been collected for a range of reasons including:
- Appointment Reminders
- Appointment Follow Ups
- Marketing about new products, services or specials.
- Clinic information or updates
- Market research or surveys to improve our service and guide future development.
Our commitments to best manage your personal and/or health information:
- We will endeavour to clarify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will gather and utilise individual data for our identified purpose or for other required purposes, or as required by law.
- We will only hold individual data for as long as is necessary to undertake our purpose and for necessary record keeping.
- We will gather individual data by legal and reasonable means and, where possible, with the agreement of the individual concerned.
- We will protect individual data through the use of best practice systems and endeavour to prevent theft, and also unapproved access, divulgence, duplicating, use or unauthorised amendment.
- If asked, we will promptly provide access to our policies and procedures for the administration of individual data.
We are focused on leading our business as per these standards with a specific end goal to guarantee that the privacy of individual data is secure and maintained.
You can let us know at any time if you do not wish to be contacted for any of these purposes. If you originally provide consent, your consent will remain current until you advise us otherwise.
How might we contact you?
We might contact you in a number of ways including:
- Telephone Call
- Via social media platforms
We will not send you any commercial electronic messages such as SMS’s or emails unless this is permitted by the Spam Act. Any commercial electronic message that we send will identify Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic as the sender and will include our contact details. The message will also provide an unsubscribe facility. If you do not wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please let us know.
Do Not Call Register
We will not call you on a number listed on the Do Not Call Register unless this is permitted under the Do Not Call Register Act. If you do not wish us to call you on a particular number, please let us know.
When does Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic disclose Personal/Health Information to Third Parties?
In performing our functions and activities, we may need to disclose personal and/or health information to third parties. Third parties may include, where appropriate:
- Other members of your treating team where necessary.
- Other health care professionals, if in our judgement that is necessary in the context of your treatment.
- Financial institutions for payment processing.
- Government and other regulatory bodies such as Department of Veterans Affairs, Transport Accident bodies and Workers Compensation bodies.
- Your employer, where required and permissible in relation to a work related injury.
- Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic’s contracted service providers
Data Quality and Security
To the extent required by the Privacy Act, Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic will take reasonable steps to:
- Make sure that the personal and health information we collect, use and disclose is complete, accurate and up to date.
- Protect the personal and health information that we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- Destroy or permanently de-identify personal and health information that is no longer needed for any purpose that is permitted by the Privacy Act.
What is Personal Information?
‘Personal information’ is any information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable from the information or opinion ascertained. Examples include an individual’s name, address, contact number and email address.
Special provisions apply to the collection of personal information which is defined as sensitive information. Sensitive information includes the collection of Health Information for use by a Health Service.
What is Health Information?
‘Health Information’ is defined to be:
- Information or an opinion, that is also personal information, about:
- Other personal information collected to provide, or in providing, a health service.
Examples of Health Information Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic may collect include:
- Clinical notes of an individual’s symptoms, diagnosis and the treatment given.
- Specialist reports and test results
- Appointment and billing details
- Prescriptions and other pharmaceutical purchases
- An individual’s healthcare identifier when it is collected to provide a health service.
- Any other personal information (such as information about an individual’s race, sexuality, religion, date of birth, gender) reasonably necessary to provide a health service.
What is a Health Service?
‘Health Service’ is defined to mean:
- An activity performed in relation to an individual that is intended or claimed (expressly or otherwise) by the individual or the person performing it:
The Privacy Act applies to all organisations that provide a health service, including Allied Health professionals. BRISBANE HEADACHE AND MIGRAINE CLINIC will only handle the minimum amount of health information reasonably necessary to provide the required health service.
Cross Border Disclosure of Personal and Health Information
If Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic transfers your personal and/or health information outside of Australia, Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic comply with the Privacy Act and take such steps as reasonable to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the requirements that relate to cross-border disclosure of personal information.
Access and Correction of your Personal and Health Information
Please contact Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic if you would like to access or correct the personal and/or health information that we hold about you. Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic will generally provide you with access to your personal and/or health information (although a fee may be imposed) and will take reasonable steps to amend any personal and/or health information that is incorrect.
In some circumstances, Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic may not permit access to your personal and/or health information, or may refuse to correct your information, in which case we will provide you with reasons for this decision.
Please contact Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic if you have any queries about the personal information that Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic holds about you or the way that we handle that personal information.
Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic
Address: 47 Pinelands Road, Sunnybank Hills, QLD, 4109
Phone: 1800 432 322
Fax: (07) 3054 6673
Email: [email protected]
Please contact Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic on the details above if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by Brisbane Headache and Migraine Clinic.